Frequently Asked Questions

Question:    My Kansas mineral and royalty interests are not located within the counties listed in the SWKROA territory; can I still be a member of SWKROA?
Answer:   Absolutely!  While the original Association was established for mineral owners in the Hugoton Field located in Southwest Kansas, SWKROA is open to all Kansas surface, mineral and royalty owners.  If your interests are not located in the SWKROA territory you can join as an Associate Member.  Associate Members enjoy all the benefits of  Regular Members, such as the newsletter, forms, webpage, annual meeting presentations and access to information as Regular Members. However, Associate Members are not allowed to vote on Association business or hold the position of an Officer or Director of the Association.
Question:    Can  SWKROA review my oil and gas lease or other agreements and help me negotiate the agreements?
Answer:    SWKROA cannot provide legal advice.  The SWKROA office is knowledgeable on many issues including what “going rates” are on leases, and general trends within the oil and gas industry. When possible, the staff is happy to discuss and educate our members in general and broad terms on issues they may encounter.   For legal advice, SWKROA recommends you consult with an attorney who is knowledgeable on mineral interests and oil and gas matters in the area where your minerals are located.
Question:   Can SWKROA expand its territory to include my county?  
Answer:      Yes.  Five or more surface, mineral or royalty owners who own interests in a county may petition the SWKROA Board of Directors and request to have their county included in the SWKROA territory.  The request may come from current members of the Association, as well as from new members.  The Board of Directors must approve and accept the petition.  If the county is included in the territory area that county’s Regular Members would be granted voting privileges in the Association.
Question:    Is a mineral interest the same as a royalty interest?  
Answer:       No.  A mineral interest is a real estate interest in Kansas and title must be transferred by a deed or through a probate action filed in the county where the property is held.  Once your minerals have been leased, the leasehold and royalty interests become a hybrid property interest.  Payments on oil and gas production are considered as a personal property interest in Kansas